Calling all parents of a child(ren) with Down syndrome. I am submitting an article for a local Mothers of Preschoolers (MOPS) Chapter on how moms can support their friend(s) who have a child with Down syndrome or other special needs. But, I can’t write this one on my own. I really need your feedback and insights!
If you have experiences you’d like to share I would love to use them. Some questions I’ve been asked in preparation for this submission include:
- What are words of encouragement someone can give a mom/friend of a child with DS (or another special need)?
- What things should people avoid saying to mom of a child with DS?
- What can you tell a mom who wants to reach out but is afraid to say the wrong thing or appear out of touch? I’m talking specifically moms who really do care but are nervous of making a mistake.
- What are practical ways another mom can support a mom of a child with DS? Think about doing vs saying.
- Anything else you wish other moms could understand?
Post your two-cents below! And thank you!